Thursday, 23 May 2019

Redesign a section of the garden.

Obviously, before you all tell me off I did not do this work. I had to 'pay' someone to do it for me!!!

So it started off like this and after discussion with hubby, he thought it would be a good idea to get it done. So I searched around to get some sleepers and the company we bought them from last year to do round the arid bed where still selling them, and they didn't even charge me delivery!! It was meant to be.

Then I found a local gardener man on Facebook, who didn't charge the earth and he came today and did all the digging, cutting fitting and screwing.

I must admit sadly it is not as good as the guy who did the arid bed, but then what do you expect when there is a difference of a £100 per day!

As you can see he has done the bed the other side, so its all matching up nicely.

What I need now is topsoil, to top up the right hand bed.

A work in progress, hopefully over the next week, whether I have topsoil or not we will plant it up.

Tuesday, 14 May 2019

Can you tell I'm bored???

I have nothing else to do really,so I wander sedately, not a word I use a lot, around the garden and spot things!

Today I spotted this

then another one

and another

and another

what are they?  Spider plants, Chlorophytum Comosom. Yes it surprised me as well.  

The mother plant is huge as you can see, and the are so easy and forgiving to look after, mine thrive on neglect. Nobody wants the babies, so last year I planted quite a few around the garden, just to see whether they would grow.

The do and this is the only photo I could find and this one was taken in October.

So those baby plants have come through the winter outside, unprotected, in the coldest part of the garden and I live in a frost pocket too!

Mother nature is amazing!

Monday, 13 May 2019

Time on my hands!!??

Since my relapse, I have spent a lot of time just sitting as I don't even have the energy to move. Apart from being bored out of my brain, I play brain games, silly games, watch Netflix and all the rubbish on there. I read lots of gardening magazines, well read isn't quite what I do as my brain gets in a jumble with words, so I look at pictures. Then occasionally I wander down my garden, take pictures and plan!!!


I hadn't 'planned' to change anything, but as you wander and sit in different parts of the garden you think, well I do. This is also very dangerous.
Since we took the palm out I have been thinking about this area, it has never quite worked out as I had hoped it would.

I put a lot of my potted plants on here.

Which as you can see are getting quite big, a bit too big for the green house. The Brugmasias have now gone, the large Cycas I have planted out, the large fern Cyathea Cooperi I just chop back the pop in the corner of the greenhouse for winter, it will get to the stage where it will get too big but until then this is one I will hang on to.

They also require a fair amount of watering which I don't like to do too often.

So I thought ........... 'what  can I do here' and it came to me , quite obvious really when you look at the first picture and now the palm has gone, the gravel and slabs are going and I am going to have one big flower bed. Well hardy tropical bed actually. Not right out to the path but about 8 inches away from it.

Then I will have the joy of planting it up. I have a couple of plants in pots which can go in here. I do have a lovely water feature ball pool which is run on a solar pump, which I will have to rehome, I would like to keep it but may have to jig things around to fit it in.

So there it is, The Plan, when it will occur I have no idea, it may even change, but that is the joy of a plan.

Saturday, 11 May 2019

Brahea Armata, dead? Well maybe not!

My eldest daughter was over today to help me in the garden now I have no energy to do anything due to the M.E.

She was going to dig out the 'dead' Brahea Armata which looked a lot worse than this picture. I forgot to take a before picture, but basically it was totally brown.

I knew I hadn't done anything so was wondering what had been going on. The plan was to dig it out, pop it in a pot, somewhere warm and out of the way and monitor it. So out it came, a little too easily for a plant that had been in the ground since 2015.

The roots had not really expanded from the size of the pot I got it in. which was a little surprising, that was until we looked closer and found.....

It was in a smaller pot which had been inside the roots of the pot I bought it in. No wonder it hadn't been growing!
So we managed to remove this pot and reveal some really healthy roots and it is now potted up and a nice big pot and sitting in the garden in a warm spot where it will stay for a few years i the hope it will come back.

These are renowned for sulking after repotting so patience will be my watch word!!! Well we will see, as I don't have a lot of it!!!